Friday, October 23, 2009

The Good News- Part 2


What did Jesus do for us at the cross?

It is extremely important that we understand what Jesus did for us at the cross. This is where we were legally delivered from all the consequences of Adam's rebellion. This is where a great exchange took place.

"Surely He has borne our griefs (sicknesses) and carried our sorrows (pains) ... But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." (Is. 53:4,5)

In the moment that we truly put all our trust in Jesus and commit ourselves fully to Him, receiving Him and confessing Him as our Lord and Saviour for all time, we are in Christ. When we are in Christ, all the promises of God and all the benefits of Calvary become available to us (2 Corinthians 1:20). We can receive them. Then we can declare:

- Jesus took my sin, I receive his righteousness. (Is. 53:5)

- Jesus took my punishment, I receive his forgiveness. (Rom. 3:25; 1Jn 1:9; 1Jn 2:2; 1Pet 3:18)

- Jesus took my diseases and pains, I receive healing, for by His wounds I am healed. (Is 53:4,5; Mt. 8:16,17)

- Jesus took my sickly nature, I receive His divine health. (Is. 53:10) We need to look at the Hebrew words in vs 4 and 10 of this chapter. Jesus was made sick on the cross.

- Jesus took my sadness, and gives me His joy. (Isaiah. 61:3; John 15:11)

- Jesus took my curse, I receive His blessing. (Galatians 3:13,14)

- Jesus took my old life, I receive His new divine life. (Galatians 2:20; John 10:10)

- Jesus took my poverty, I receive His riches. (2 Corinthians 8:9; Deuteronomy 28:48; Galatians 3:13,14)

- Jesus took my rejection, I receive acceptance from God. (Mark 15:34,37; Ephesians 1:6)

Be sure to look up these Scriptures and read them out loud for yourself. Our salvation is based on what God has declared to be true in His Word, not on the words of a man or a church.

The most important thing for us to remember and present to people is that Jesus Christ through his death on the cross paid for all our sins and rebellion - everything that separates us from God. This means that God is now able to offer a way back to Him, through Jesus, for everyone who wants to be reconciled with God again. It means that now we can have a relationship with God again, because all our sins which destroy that relationship and give room to the devil in our lives have been paid for at the cross. Knowing the truth of this can make us free. (Jn 8:32)

The Resurrection as proof of Christianity

The resurrection of Jesus Christ is recorded as an historical event in all four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). This was not just a spiritual resurrection but a bodily resurrection. (Luke 24:37-43). As Christians we too have the promise from God that we will be physically resurrected with new bodies, just as Christ was. (1 Corinthians 15:42, 52-54; 1Thessalonians 4:16,17)

Jesus' resurrection is significant because:

1. It means we do not serve a dead God, or a dead prophet, or a philosophy, but a living Saviour who is "the same yesterday, today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

2. It proves that Jesus is who He said He is, the Son of God. (Rom. 1:4)

3. It proves that we are justified through the death of Jesus, "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification" (Rom 4.25). The resurrection shows that God accepted Jesus' payment for our sins, that Jesus' death was not just like the death of some righteous man. "And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile, you are still in your sins!" (1Cor 15:17)

4. Through the resurrection, we too may share in the resurrection life of Christ, beginning with the new birth. (Jn 3:3; 1 Peter 1:3; Romans 6:4,5,8,9). We may walk in newness of life.

5. It gives us a living hope, and a hope of life after death. (1 Peter 1:3)





Remain blessed

No comments:

My Testimony

These are my personal thoughts about my life as a Christian, musician, mother, and wife.

ShareThis

Learn to play piano by ear!!

Learn to play piano in a church setting!!