Monday, September 22, 2008

Drop the past, reach for the future!!

Have you ever seen someone with a hand full of stuff, still trying to add more stuff? I mean honestly sometimes you just wonder what in the world are they thinking. Take the woman on the right for instance, it is impossible for her to put any more stuff in her hands. The only way she'll be able to pick anything else up is by dropping what she already has in her hands. It is the same way for us spiritually.

The scripture Philippians 3:13 says: Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before. The only way that we can advance spiritually is by dropping those things which block our path to righteousness. Things that may block your path to righteousness is: holding on to past sins, unforgiveness, resentment, and fear to name a few. Notice that the scripture tells us to forget those things which are behind because there is no way that you can possibly go forward if you keep looking back. You have read my testimony of how God delivered me from many things. What you don't know is that I still deal with the residue that those sins left behind. To this day, I still have to remind myself that God has forgiven me and that's all that matters. It's not easy to go forward and forget the past especially when people continue to remind you of it. Nevertheless, I have made up my mind that I'm going forward no matter what anyone says. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

We must understand that God has good things in store for our future. 1 Corinthians 2:9 says: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. Again, there is no way that you can have that bright future if you continue to hold on to the past. It is much easier said than done but we have to be willing to make the effort to do the Word of God and not just hear it. Being molested is not easy to forget. As a matter of fact, every time I hear of someone being molested I automatically think of my past. Because of my unwillingness to let go, I suffered many hardships. My mind was not free to think about God, all I could think of was what if...what if I would have told someone before it got out of hand...what if I had not been born...why me? Thinking about all of those questions made me miserable and depressed. No matter how bad you feel about what happened in the past, you have to understand that the only way to make amends for your past failures is by correcting them in the future.

Our past should not serve has an obstacle, it should serve as a reminder of just how much God loves us. He gave his Son so that we could be free to live the life that he has ordained for us. Luke 9:62 says: And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. Why? Because you can't do two things at one time. God wants our full attention to be on him and not on the past. I know that dropping certain sins or problems can seem impossible but I'm a witness that it can be done. You have to say to yourself, "I have what God says I have, I am who God says I am, and I can do what God says I can do". Don't hang around people who won't embrace who God has made you. They will poison your spirit and cause you to miss out on the many opportunities that lie ahead. Walk in the newness of life and refuse to hold on to unnecessary burdens. God has said for my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Drop the past and reach for the future.
Remain blessed

No comments:

My Testimony

These are my personal thoughts about my life as a Christian, musician, mother, and wife.

ShareThis

Learn to play piano by ear!!

Learn to play piano in a church setting!!